Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Everyday Space: the work area

The work space (Pratt Studio) that I used to work in during my freshman year is like my second home as most people has been spreading around in Pratt. I was told that I'm the Asian girl who is found sleeping somewhere around the Pratt studio's floor or the tables. This was not a good rumor to hear but it seems to make people happy to know that I'm the funny one that does that. This year I changed a lot. Now that I don't live in a dorm and that foundation year is over, I tend to work a lot more in my own studio with my laptop and my study guides.
During my freshman year in Pratt, I carried a blanket and a pillow around to the studio. I would tell my friends to wake me up after thirty minutes of rest but it seems to not work at all. Apparently I'm a heavy sleeper who gets up unconsciously and goes back to sleep without even remember that they tried hard to wake me up. People always asked "how can you sleep in such an uncomfortable place?" I actually have no clue how I do it but I do know that after sleeping for four hours in the studio, I wake up with my arms and legs fallen asleep which hurts a lot. But its better then not being able to wake up in bed when you are needing to take a short nap to finish your work again. But the work space of Pratt Studio was cozy and very friendly with all my friends to be around with me and a table space for my own. We each take up a table in the studio to work on our Drawing homework or our LCD homework. We made tons of mess but  we end up cleaning the table for other people to use it the next day.
Now that freshman year is over and my sophomore year has started, I work in my apartment with my roommate (aka my best friend). Even though its a lot smaller then the spaces in the dorm rooms and the studio, it's a lot more cozier and warmer to work in. Plus we don't need a large work space now that we don't need to draw a 22x32 drawings. Also we are graphic designers so we basically need our expensive laptop that Pratt recommends us to get with expensive programs that we have to buy or maybe 'download' on the Internet. But this work space isn't like a home to me comparing to how I lived my freshman year in the Pratt Studio. This year my friends and those that saw me lying around in the studio would still call me "the girl who slept in the Pratt Studio".


This video was created by Wongfu Productions (one of my favorite YouTube video bloggers which I would definitely recommend for everyone to watch their videos) and it's about 'everyday objects' that we love to use but do those objects love us back?




OMG this made my day :) A squard from a Cardboard Company (this sounds funny) made a short YouTube film with machines and guns and warfare items out of cardboard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment